Saturday, March 26, 2011

I am not soft anymore



At least in regards to the Weather. This picture is from a week ago. The standard stroller push.
Been hitting some good swims and bikes, also doing ok when I hit speed as long as I dont go over about a min. I know at a low altitude I will be rocking though. This post is mainly a preview for the first race of the season. The SHAC. Last fall I had a breakthrough race so this is gonna be really tough.
Last year for 400 swim 10M bike and 3M run.
Swim: 6:20
T1: 1:15
Bike: 26:16
T2: 0:41
Run 17:41
Total: 52:18

This year I want
Swim: 6:00 (~1:25 pace with timing mat locations)
T1: 1:00
Bike: 26:00 (~24mph with timing mat locations)
T2: 0:40
Run 17:00 (5:40 pace)
Total 50:39
The course record was nest 1 year ago by Ironman Lake Placid Champion Ben Hoffman at 50:45 so I am really shooting for the stars.

There are a few things I am going to do different for this race. I am gonna use swim bands during my warmup. I am not using socks. (Finally over my blister fiasco from years ago.) I am using a standard wrist stopwatch to check my splits. 7 on the bike, 14 at turnaround, 20 at next, 27 at next, and then 36:10 at the second turnaround. I still have a shot if that time is as high as 36:40. Oddly the thing I am most afraid of is the bike. I am in a lot better shape but there are TONS of turnarounds and turns and I didn't get caught behind anyone and I was in the right gear every time last time. I may have pushed a little too hard last time as well. Also the weather lead in is terrible. No motivation to run today in the sleet/snow after riding almost 2 hours in it. Basically can't wait for the first race of the season so this is my whole-hearted attempt at over-analyzing it.


2 comments:

  1. Don't panic if you are behind on any splits. You can make up on another of the elements or transition. You won't be able to control the wind or wet conditions on the bike so again.....keep the time goal as simply that, a goal. Your higher goals should be improving on time from last year, finishing strong, no injuries, and knowing you have a full season in front of you. If this is the 1st time you are going sockless, couple of recommendations. 1) I use baby powder in and around the shoes when I first setup transition. This helps to slip a wet/sweaty foot into the shoe a bit better and also keeps friction down to minimum. I also use a shoe horn to slip the foot in. A show horn makes the foot entry a cinch.

    Wetsuit? Still in need of one? Let me know via Facebook. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do great. Can't wait to see you break the record. See you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete