Monday, September 28, 2009

Runnig with the Buffaloes

Just finished reading "Running with the Buffaloes" by Chris Lear. It follows the Colorado Cross Country Team the season Adam Goucher won the national title. There is a person in the book that really resonates with myself. That person is Chris Severy. He was a Biology major who loved cycling but gave it up bc of the tactics and people. He loved running and cycling hills and taking risks. An atheist who could not understand faith or having something "in Gods hands" the only faith he could grasp was that hard work would pay off. He lived in an off the grid cabin 2500 ft above campus bc he believed it would enrich him personally.

The similarities continue on a more minute scale until one occasion. He decided to start bicycle commuting to school. I decided the same thing living in a tent in Utah also 2500 feet up from town. On a Monday morning I hiked 300 ft down the mountain to the road and got on my bike all dressed and clipped in. Then I decided it was too cold to use my brakes properly (hands would be cold and I would be riding in fists) and I could not wear my sunglasses bc it was too dark and not wearing them would make my eyes freeze. I walked up to my car and drove down. Chris did not make that same decision and never made it down his mountain. Something caused him to veer off the roadway and hit a tree killing him instantly.

I haven't really figured out what to do with this message. Maybe it was the way the book was written when it mentioned Sev's death. I guess I will just run.

No comments:

Post a Comment